Yes. Some applications packaged with the benchmark suite, such as Microsoft® Office® 2010, will expire 30 days after installation. Once the applications have expired, the HDD containing the SYSmark® 2014 installation must be reimaged with a new copy of the operating system, and a new instance of SYSmark® 2014 must be installed.
Yes. Support for non-English languages include French, German, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazilian), Russian, Japanese, and Chinese (Simplified) with SYSmark® 2014 Patch 1 installed.
No. SYSmark® 2014 must be installed on and run from the C:\ drive and the user account installing the benchmark must have administrator rights on the target system. In addition, SYSmark® 2014 tests must be executed from the same account that was used to install the benchmark.
Test systems with SYSmark® 2014 installed should not be connected to the Internet. Some applications installed as part of SYSmark® 2014 may be deactivated and cause the benchmark to fail if an Internet connection is detected.
Yes. SYSmark® 2014 is distributed on USB media as well as DVD media. To install from the USB media distributed by BAPCo, simply plug the USB key into an open USB port on the target system. Locate the SYSmark2014_setup.exe file and double click to begin installation. The files on DVD media can also be installed from external media such as USB HDD or memory keys. Follow the steps below to install from external USB media. At least 50GB of free space is required.
- Create a new folder
- Copy the contents of DVD 1 into the newly created folder
- Copy the contents of DVD 2 into the same folder as the contents from DVD 1
- The folder should now contain the following: Apps, Apps2, Data, Data2, Setup, Setup2, Autorun.inf, BAPCo.ico, and SYSmark2014_Setup.exe
- Install the benchmark by launching SYSmark2014_Setup.exe from the GUI, or on the command line
No. At this time SYSmark® 2014 does not support uninstallation. BAPCo strongly recommends making a backup of the test system image prior to installtion of SYSmark® 2014. Once testing is complete, BAPCo recommends performing a full image recovery on the test system.
An error folder included with the results of a SYSmark® 2014 run indicates that one or more of the scenarios in that project encountered a problem. In such cases, SYSmark® 2014 will attempt to retry the scenario a default maximum of 5 times. The retry maximum is can be customized on the command line using -r or –retries. Setting the value to “0” will disable the retry feature and SYSmark® will halt if an error is encountered.
The Windows operating system attempts to boost performance by caching and pre-fetching data whenever it can. Scores may be lower on the first iteration as SYSmark® is running while Windows caching and pre-fetching is in progress.
The Conditioning Run provides the opportunity for the system to take advantage of built in OS performance optimizations that may help improve scores. The Conditioning Run is selected by default, and the iteration will be executed at the beginning of a project. Results from the Conditioning Run are not included in the project scoring.
At this time, SYSmark® 2014 supports installation on US English. Additional language support may be added in future releases. Check the SYSmark® 2014 FAQ online for the latest information.
Installation time for SYSmark® 2014 takes approximately 45 minutes. Installation time may vary based on the target system configuration.
Running one full iteration of SYSmark® 2014 takes approximately 1 hour on the reference system. The time to complete a full iteration may vary depending on the the configuration of the system being tested.
Applications within BAPCo benchmarks are not compiled by BAPCo, but by the original application vendors. All other components within BAPCo benchmarks are compiled using Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 or Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, or Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 (with default options).
Windows 8/8.1 is designed to prompt the user for activation every 3 hours. The activation prompt may interfere with SYSmark 2014 tests. There are three ways to prevent this interference:
- Activate the Windows 8/8.1 installation using a retail license key.
- Activate the Windows 8/8.1 installation using a Key Management Server. Note, this option is only available for Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise edition
- Enable Windows 8/8.1 Test Mode
- Launch the “regedit” application
- Navigate to the key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control.”
- Create a new key with name “7503491f-4a39-4f84-b231-8aca3e203b94”
SYSmark® 2014 should be run with the DPI scaling set to 100%. Setting the DPI scaling value to something other than 100% may cause SYSmark® 2014 to report ‘screen resolution mismatch’ error and halt the test.
SYSmark 2014 documentation is located on the SYSmark 2014 product page here.
Please note: The below “Error 1010” Hotfix does not apply to versions 1.5.x.x
Download Hotfix for error 1010
1) MobileMark 2014 patch 2 or SYSmark 2014 patch 2 must be installed to use this hotfix.
2) Download and extract the above zip file to the test system where error 1010 occurred.
3) If any SYSmark 2014 or MobileMark 2014 windows remain open, close them before attempting to apply the hotfix.
4) Right click the ‘Hotfix_for_Error_1010.exe’ file that you extracted from the zip and choose ‘Run as Administrator’.
5) The package will launch a command prompt window.
6) Follow the prompts to apply the hotfix.
7) Upon successful completion, press any key to close the command window. You may now attempt to run SM14 or MM14, and should no longer see error 1010.
Note: This fix applies only SM14 and MM14 patch 2. If the hotfix package cannot detect the SM14 or MM14 installation, it will exit.
Note: SYSmark 2014 v1.5 and MobileMark 2014 v1.5 with patch 1 installed no longer need this hotfix. Please download patch 1 from the product page.
The November update to Windows 10 may cause an error with Adobe Acrobat when running MobileMark 2014 ver 1.5 or SYSmark 2014 ver 1.5. Please download the following .zip archive Hotfix_for_default_PDF_reader.
- Extract the zip file to a directory
- Copy the self-extracting executable from the .zip to the test system
- Be sure all SYSmark/MobileMark windows and applications are closed
- Right click the executable and choose ‘Run as administrator’
- Follow the prompts to apply the hotfix.
- Once the hotfix completes, run the benchmark test.
The following work around is for Intel vPro equipped systems with the Intel Management and Security app installed which are failing with the following error:
OP_OneNote_05_Email.exe/SendToEmail (10014) SendToEmail: Failed to close outlook window (10014)
- Open the Intel Management and Security app by right clicking on the icon in the systray
- Uncheck the item labeled ‘enable user notification’
- Uncheck the item labeled ‘Intel Management and Security status will be available the next time I log on to Windows’
- Close the app
- Run SYSmark 2014
For testing on Non-Engish OS, SYSmark 2018 and MobileMark 2018 installers will configure the system correctly for the supported languages, provided the operating system is installed in a supported language, i.e., German.
SYSmark and MobileMark support seven Non-English languages. Download the .pdf for the target language and follow the instructions to configure the operating system.
- BAPCo Product Configuration Guide for Non English OS (English)
- BAPCo Product Configuration Guide for Non English OS (Portuguese)
- BAPCo Product Configuration Guide for Non English OS (Chinese)
- BAPCo Product Configuration Guide for Non English OS (French)
- BAPCo Product Configuration Guide for Non English OS (German)
- BAPCo Product Configuration Guide for Non English OS (Japanese)
- BAPCo Product Configuration Guide for Non English OS (Russian)
- BAPCo Product Configuration Guide for Non English OS (Spanish)
When using BAPCo benchmarks to evaluate performance or battery life, one should install the latest production drivers from the hardware manufacturer. Drivers included with the operating system may not be device specific or newer drivers may be available from the device manufacturer. Using incorrect drivers could result in significantly reduced performance.
NVMe configurations: NVMe devices may show lower than expected performance in some
configurations due to the way Force Unit Access (FUA) write requests are handled by the
Windows operating system. Therefore, BAPCo recommends that users install the storage driver
provided by the manufacturer of their NVMe device. In cases where the manufacturer does not
provide an NVMe driver, users may disable the ‘Windows Write cache buffer flushing’ setting on
the NVMe drive prior to testing.
Some users may encounter Error 1008: System Config failed with return code -1 when testing SYSmark 2014 v1.5 when testing on Windows 10 Redstone 3.
This manual work around has been replaced by the following Hotfix.
Download “SYSmark 2014 ver 1.5 patch 1, hotfix 1 v22.214.171.124 (config tool error under RS3)”
- Download to target system
- Unzip the archive
- Close SM14 v1.5 if the application is open
- Right click the .exe and run as administrator
SYSmark 2014 v1.5 patch 1 must be installed to apply hotfix 1. The update will not apply to older versions of SYSmark 2014 v1.5. After the hotfix is applied, launch SM14 v1.5. The new version should be reported as 126.96.36.199.
Systems with Intel Dynamic Power and Thermal Framework (DPTF) driver version (8.4.11000.6436) may fail to execute and display Error 1: Errorstate::Enter: unknown error code (1) in the results browser.
You may encounter this issue when testing with older versions of SYSmark 2014 SE or MobileMark v1.5. If so, please visit either the SYSmark 2014 SE product page or the MobileMark 2014 v1.5 product page to download the latest patch and hotfix for your product. Update your benchmark according the patch or hotfix instructions and reboot the system under test. You should now be able to run SYSmark 2014 SE or MobileMark 2014 v1.5 successfully.
If you are testing SYSmark 2014 v1.5, please follow these steps to work around the issue:
1) Please visit the SYSmark 2014 v1.5 product page to download and apply any patches or hotfixes to your installation.
2) Download the Dptf_Sysmark_2014_v1.5_fix package and copy to the system under test
3) Extract the contents of the zip file
4) Right click the .reg file and choose ‘Merge’
5) Reboot the system under test
6) You should now be able to run SYSmark 2014 v1.5 successfully.
As BAPCo benchmarks such as SYSmark and MobileMark include all the applications required to run the benchmark(s) users must be certain that any previous installation of those same applications are completely removed from the OEM preload prior to attempting to install a BAPCo product.
Microsoft provides a tool for removing Office installations. Please use this tool prior to installing any BAPCo benchmark on systems where Office is preinstalled.
Note, there may be other applications, ie, Adobe Creative Suite that will need to be removed as well. This FAQ item covers MS Office only.
If Windows 10 detects the installation of an application that is not compatible with the memory integrity feature, Windows 10 will disable the feature in order to prevent system instability. Users may notice that memory detection has been disabled Windows 10 if they install older BAPCo benchmarks such as SYSmark 2014, SYSmark 2014 SE, or MobileMark 2014.
BAPCo recommends updating to the latest generation of SYSmark 2018 and MobileMark 2018 for users who wish to test with memory integrity enabled.
Starting with Windows 10 May 2019 Update (version 1903), the SYSmark performance score can be over 10% higher when Windows Defender is turned off. To address this, BAPCo is making two changes to SYSmark in upcoming patches. First, we will document the status of Windows Defender in the results PDF file. Second, we will change the default behavior of the SYSmark System Configuration Tool to not disable Windows Defender. You can still optionally disable it if you want.
Tamper Protection can limit the ability of the SYSmark System Configuration Tool to modify some system settings. Some of those settings, like disabling Windows Defender, can affect the SYSmark performance score.